Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Quickie upgrades & modifications

I have been kicking around some ideas for my new Quickie, that by the way, sounds pretty darn amazing!
My main preamp is a passive TVC (Transformer Volume Control) that I built from parts. In a comparison the Quickie has more "punch" but I really like the transparency of the TVC, however it does not have the gain I need in my system.

I understand that a choke can sometimes load a tube better than a resistor, and therefore improve the sound quality.
Would something like the Hammond 156C be a good candidate for this duty without dropping a lot of money? In place of the RK or RL resistor?

My other brain storm (sometimes cloudy, with patches of clearing...) would be to graft the two units into one!
Could the transformers and switch replace the volume pot on the Quickie? Any downsides or other changes to consider?

I am open to other suggestions, as I am sure others are, on how to improve the Quickie without selling a vital organ to finance.
Thanks a lot for making this great kit available, and in advance for any help!
I can hear the potential in it just waiting to come out...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Quickie upgrades & modifications - Koda 20:03:27 10/10/09 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.