Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Some Help But Not Everything You Need To Know About FP III Noise !

Grainger:

Again, thank you for taking time to post your comprehensive short guide to hum reduction. After some time taking measurements, plugging and unplugging ICs and playing with ground schemes, I have not yet solved my problem. That said, these are my impressions.

First, perhaps I am being overly critical of my BH system (Paramounts, Foreplay III and Seduction). It may be that these components cannot produce inky-black noiselessness.

Second, without extra tubes, I cannot test for sure that I may not have a tube problem. This is on my to do list.

Third, the Paramounts, no input, hooked to a pair of speakers are nearly noiseless. There is a very, very low level hum (mmmmm), but not anything close to awful. Interface the FPIII to the Paramounts with no inputs connected to the linestage and the hum increases. Increase the volume of the FPIII and the hum increases.

Fourth, grounds are solid on all BH components and there is no AC voltage from one chassis to another.

Fifth, I did find that my DAC and Squeezebox (both running off power supplies with 2-prong plugs) do inject more hum into the system when the power supplies are plugged into an outlet. Even if I plug these two devices into other wall outlets, they seem to immediately increase the hum heard through the speakers.

Sixth, with the Squeezebox and DAC connected to the FPIII and powered on, the hum is reduced. Do not know why that would be, but the Seduction input to the FPIII is way noisier.

Lastly, my IC's are fashioned after the NAWA cables on the BH website where the shield is lifted on the non-source end. I thought this would work out well by providing a shiled to the signal wire.

I will try to find some other tubes to see if noisy tubes may be my problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.