Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: selector switch, leave out?

There seems to be several things going on here. Obviously, there will be huge crosstalk if all inputs are paralleled!

The issue addressed by others below is that the output of one device will likely interact with that of another device. There are a lot of ways for that to happen, so unless your components are known to be compatible and you intend to never get another one, it would be unwise to dispense with switching entirely.

Now if you want to reduce crosstalk, the most common remedy is to get a switch with more positions and wire every other position to ground. This makes a partial electrostatic shield between signals. 5 or 6 position switches are readily available, but limited to 2 poles per deck. The current Foreplay III uses a 4-pole switch so that the grounds are switched as well as the signal lines. Thus you can get a 2-deck, 5 or 6 position 4-pole switch, or you can switch only the signal lines with a single-deck switch. The latter means all grounds are connected all the time, which in some cases can produce enough ground current hum to be noticeable. I would suggest checking for that problem using clip-leads before investing is a switch.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: selector switch, leave out? - Paul Joppa 10:12:31 10/06/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.