Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Preamp Benefit

To me, a preamp means something that can amplify and adjust a signal from all kinds of sources, including phono and tape. So even though most people call line stages preamps, to avoid confusion I'll call Foreplays and Quickies line stages. I'd like someone to correct me if he or she feels I'm wrong.

I wouldn't base my listening on an integrated audio/video unit, because discrete components are usually better at their dedicated functions than a do-everything design. For example, in my experience a good DAC design puts most of its budget into turning bits into analog output. A good line stage puts its design budget into taking a line level output, maybe cleaning or dressing it up, and from there sending it, as musically as possible, to drive an amplifier. They are different functions, even though the voltage level of the DAC may be fine to send to an amp. You'll see from the posts here that something that's important to Foreplay users is getting the levels and impedances perfect for the best sound. Many people here invest a lot into their line stages, and they're not dummies.

The Quickie, at least to me, starts out as a line stage but is easily modifiable into an active interstage (which is the way I think of it). I just received mine today. One is being modded into a headphone amp (again a dedicated function), and the other to drive a low pass filter, kind of turning it into part of and active crossover. Matching current, voltage and impedance requirements to capture a signal and drive a component, using quality stuff, can get you great music, IMO.

This is the longest-winded way I could say what Grainger said.

Triamp... Take a load off!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Preamp Benefit - artsybrute 09:06:14 10/06/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.