Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Quickie as DAC I/V output stage?

Not directly. The DSD1796 has a balanced output of 4mA PP to make full use of that you need some form of differential input which the quickie does not have. You COULD use just one side, but that only gives you 2mA PP.

These DACs really like to see 10 ohms or less, so if you put a 10 ohm resistor across one output you get a whopping 20mv signal, the quickie has nowhere near enough gain for that.

Another option is to use a transformer. Get a transformer with a ratio of 1:10 with a center tapped primary. Put a 1K resistor across the secondary, that lets the DAC see 10ohms and you now have 400mv on the secondary, the quickie would then have a much better chance of dealing with that.

Some MC step up transformers will work well for this. But they have to have a center tapped primary. Lundahl makes a couple models that fit the bill, but they cost $90 or so a piece.

You could just use a 200ohm resistor on one of the outputs and feed that into the quickie, it would work but you would not get the full fidelity the DAC chip is capable of. If you want to experiment you can certainly try that, it won't hurt anything.

To do this you will have to cut the trace from the output pin to whatever circuitry it drives, put a 200ohm resistor to ground and feed the output pin to the quickie. The output will NOT be ground referenced, there will be a couple volts on that signal, so if the quickie input is DC coupled you will have to use a cap on the output.

That should do it.

John S.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.