Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Stereomour w/45s questions

No, the primary impedance design target is 4K for the new Bottlehead transformers. (Actually it looks like about 3947 ohms into 8 ohms on the 8 ohm tap, 3538 at 16 ohms with the new design). At the standard maximum operating point for the 45 (275v, 36mA) my nominal load design target is 3809 ohms. The RCA standard of 4600 ohms is a bit conservative relative to my nominal. But I will say, the best sounding 45 amp I've ever heard used a TFA-2004Ni at 3000 ohms so I am pretty confident that this load is going to sound good.

An interesting third option is to set the amp up for 45 operation but plug in a 2A3. The voltage and current will be very close to the 45 design point, the output power will be in between the 45 and 2A3 levels, and the 2A3 will last longer at the more conservative operating point.

I have a shunt-regged 45 option in mind as well, using Zeners - not as good as a tube or hybrid regulator, but might be a modest improvement. No work on that until we get the basic product done though!

Edits: 09/22/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.