Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Thinking ahead to Stereomour...

Obviously, the "Stereomour" we've all been talking about is not out yet, but it's almost guaranteed that it will become the 4th Bottlehead kit I build, after the C4S'ed S.E.X., Seduction, and Quickie (which I'll be using as a headphone amp). A few questions (if these can even be answered yet):

a) I see that it will be designed to use 2A3 tubes. What about 300B's? Will it be "adaptable" through a few circuit changes like the Paramounts? The extra 5 or so watts from a 300B (as opposed to the 2A3) puts a whole other class of options on the table for speakers. It seems like 95dB+ speakers tend to be horn-loaded or single driver, which I'm finding I don't like so much (too limited at the extremes in the case of single-drivers (not to mention that annoying Lowther "shout"), and too bright in the case of horn tweeters like Klipsch).

b) I'm assuming this will be AC heated, correct? Have the prototypes been quiet enough (i.e., hum/noise of < 1mV or so) for headphones if one decided to add a jack? (The S.E.X. seems dead quiet, but that's a) at a lower wattage/power, b) using DC on the filaments, and c) using indirectly-heated cathodes.

c) Any ideas in terms of cost? Will it be similar to the cost of two monobocks, or slightly less due to needing one chassis, one power supply, etc.?

Thanks in advance...I realize these questions may not be answerable at this stage, but the anticipation is hard to control.....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Thinking ahead to Stereomour... - Dr. Toobz 10:20:34 09/20/09 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.