Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: SEX amp several problems

In terms of the speaker issue, are you sure that a) your speakers are connected to the posts properly (i.e., positive to red, negative/ground to the black post right NEXT to it)? If so, are your solder joints good on the solder cups at the end of the pins? If so, I would trace backwards and rule out the obvious. Are the lines going to each pin in the right place (i.e., did you cross over anything accidentally after the headphone jack?). Also, check your headphone jack connections for mix-ups - make sure the ground and signal wires are connected in the right places, and that the 120ohm resistors are in the right place (in series with the signal). If that still doesn't help, trace things back from the headphone jack to the transformer and terminal strip preceding it. Troubleshooting a circuit comes down to methodically working down the line and ruling out various possibilities. We've all been there at some point or another.

I'm surprised you got shocked by your SEX amp - I've never used a bleeder and always show 0V across the caps when I've worked on it. Of course, I let music keep playing through it after I've turned it off to keep the tubes conducting while they're still hot, which seems to bleed the B+ dry. You would want to use a big resistor on your alligator clips, not a wire! A wire will just short out whatever you're trying to bleed - you want to dissipate energy. Maybe somebody else will chime in on exactly where to place the bleeder, since I've never used one with the SEX. I've always bled big capacitors individually, but I'm sure there's a quicker way....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.