Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: A few quick(ie) questions.....

Thanks for all of the great answers! I'm feeling pretty good about this turning into a decent headphone amp.

As for the Hammond box, my idea was to flip one upside down over the batteries, but not attach it - similar in fashion to a transformer bin (though unsecured). It would be for looks as opposed to utility - all I would have to do to change the batteries is lift the box/bin. If I wanted to get fancy, I could put tabs on the box and make a few holes for it to "snap" in place, but I don't see much benefit. I just think the amp would look cooler with a hammertone plate and black matte battery box as opposed to bare cells - I'm more for a refined, pseudo "high end" look myself.

I may just mount the batteries underneath as some have suggested, since I never secure the chassis plate(s) on anything I build (I prefer them to "float" so I can get underneath easily).

One more thing: at only 3VDC for the filaments, do these tubes even glow? (Half of the fun is seeing the tubes light up in a dark room while listening to music - which is why I wish I had something with big 300B, 6L6 or 6AS7 tubes to show off. The 0D3 rectifier tube used in the Foreplay would look awesome as well....)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.