Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: C4S in Seduction and Non-MQ'ed S.E.X. - Impressions

I totally see your point - part of the fun of the Bottlehead experience is the journey we all take in getting to the destination of perfect sound. I also learned a bit of theory by studying the C4S circuits and trying to figure out what they do (and why they do it better than a simple plate resistor). If everybody else's experiences hold true, I can expect yet another layer of improvement when I upgrade the caps and output irons/plate chokes!

Slightly off topic, but related: once I get the MQ irons in there, I may want to play around with 6EM7's in the circuit. Do the C4S boards need to be adjusted for a different bias point? Also, several have described the 6EM7 as sounding "different" or even inferior in the stock S.E.X., but "good" with the C4S and MQ upgrade. Does "good" mean similar to the sound of the 6DN7 in the stock amp, before C4S/MQ/cap upgrades? Or a different sonic signature completely? I like the sound of the 6DN7's in there now, but wouldn't mind and extra dB or two to help with my Klipsch bookshelf speakers. (I'm assuming any benefit will indeed be in the range of 1.5 or 2dB in gain over the stock circuit - I've heard people say that the 6EM7 *may* put out 3Wpc in the S.E.X., but that extra watt is still one watt short of a doubling of the original output (2W). 4W would be 3dB louder than 2W, so I'm expecting that 3W would be only 1.5dB over 2. Correct?)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: C4S in Seduction and Non-MQ'ed S.E.X. - Impressions - Dr. Toobz 11:50:11 09/13/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.