Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

C4S in Seduction and Non-MQ'ed S.E.X. - Impressions

I finally got around to installing C4S boards in my 6 month-old Seduction and S.E.X. amp, and what a difference the two make over the already-refined sonics of the stock builds! The Seduction boards went in first, and resulted in the reported higher gain with the 6922 tubes and a ~5mV cartridge (AT120E w/microline stylus). Through the S.E.X. amp, the gain results in at least 1/4 of a turn on the pot of extra headroom. Also, the Seduction seems to have a somewhat darker, blacker background and more stable bass. Midrange also seems to pop out or "float" on certain recordings even more than usual, which I attribute to the quieter background. This is especially evident for things like chorused guitars or woodwinds like saxophones and bassoons.

My soldering station conveniently died when I tried to turn it on the next day to do the S.E.X. boards. Once I bought a new iron and popped the boards in the S.E.X., similar changes were evident. I've not yet updated the parafeed or coupling caps, as I may wait until ordering the MQ iron update and do it all at once. However, even without the latter, the amp is definitely improved - even cleaner and smoother sounding, as well as a bit louder. Bass has definitely improved in the lower octaves. Most impressively, percussive sounds are so much more "certain" and have a "snap" to them that wasn't there in the stock amp. Sounds (especially attacks) that previously would push the S.E.X. to its limit now are handled with extra headroom. I think some may mistake this for a more "solid-state" type of sound, but the warmth and presence in the midrange, as well as the lack of hardness/glare in the upper registers clearly identifies as tube.

The changes were definitely worth the $120 for the set of boards. I would recommend that anybody who still has stock amps perform this modification - it's so good, it makes me wonder why the kits don't come this way to begin with (higher cost, I'm assuming).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - C4S in Seduction and Non-MQ'ed S.E.X. - Impressions - Dr. Toobz 10:37:24 09/13/09 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.