Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

success

I got the first SR45 running last night. Tubes were brand new so it needed some break in before I could really judge it. By late last night it was getting into a groove. The 45 type sonics we hoped for are there - the black background and very natural voices. And the cool part is the sucker has bass! I've usually considered the 45 a tweeter amp tube because it always sounds lean to me. But this shunt regulated setup has a bass balance more like our 300B amps, ample (within it's 1.9 watt output capability), extended and quick. Top end is very sweet and extended as we hoped also. Overall the impression is of a very natural, tonally balanced and relaxed sound, low on fatigue and very quick.

This is a conversion of a Paramour II with the MQ iron upgrade kit, so I had one of those playing in the other channel for comparison. There are some differences beyond sonics, like the fact that the SR45 amp is quite a bit less sensitive and has roughly half the power output. But once the levels are matched you can hear a distinct refinement to the sound from the fully regulated amp.

I'll be building and photographing the second amp today. If there is enough interest among upgraded Paramour II owners (like ten of you) I could invest the time to make up a kit. So let me know here if you are interested, and talk a few of your bottlehead buds into trying it too...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.