Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Beaming/shouting

Well, after playing around with various placements to no avail I found out that the "ringing"/peaking on certain continuous notes is connected with the large patio double glazed sliding doors behind my listening position.When I open them (they can only open by sliding one behind the other so I cannot get 100% open space) the peaking reduces a lot.

I played some pink noise test tones and the problem is obvious around 500-1000hz only which is quite high for standing waves.Maybe its a comb filter effect but treating the back wall behind the speakers with some diffusers did not cure this unless it is a resonance of the glass itself which is excited directly from the widebands.Some simple curtain rollers in front of the sliding doors did not do much either so the next minimal invasion technique is to coat the glass doors with something like the 3m security film for windows .Maybe this will damp the resonance if that is what is happening.Otherwise will need expensive double curtains.

By using diffusers behind the speakers the soundstage is better though and as it is with the curtain rollers-less echo in the high frequencies I guess..Cheap diffuser trick is to get some polyester fiber panels used in building as heat isolation.They are more user friendly than fibreglass but of course you have to cover them with a fabric for something presentable.
Otherwise I found a very friendly company here in Greece (iselco.gr) that manufactures diffusor panels looking like wood or marble that are reasonable priced i.e.45 euro p.sq.m.Four 120X60x3cm panels would cost like 140 euro which is not bad compared to the hi-end offerings.

Funny thing with all this is that I still dont know why with the other speakers I did not get the same problem unless it has something to do with different room nodes excited by the dipole widebands.
So keep trying.....

Robert, regarding the rusting I of course did mention that I lived (not now) opposite the beach and the climate was understandably quite corrosive.However I was disappointed that the paint job hardly lasted 6 months.Perhaps Eminence do not sell comparatively a lot of open panel speakers that are more exposed to oxidization than closed baffle and so their quality level is geared to that end.I do not know how many Bastanis users are situated close to the ocean in a humid environment -probably not a lot.

Also ,do you recommend using something like the behringer equalizer to smooth out the bass frequencies only? It has an RTA so this helps and quite precise adjustments.

Edits: 04/29/09 04/29/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.