Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: 18 dipol

Hi Guko,

the first step is the right baffle- placement and the right settings of the woofer- amps. Please follow the steps below exactly and inform me about the result.

The cool character also can result from not finished burn-in or by electronics and cabling. Please send me a mail with detailed informations about electronics and cabling, i`ll give you advice.

Baffle- placement:

First connect the amp with the baffle- section (wideband and tweeter) with your speaker- cables like you are used to connect any other speaker.
Now you can find the right placement for the open baffles, just listen to solo a voice with fully paralleled speakers, as much space inbetween the baffles as possible and move them away from the backwall until the voices rise in height, voices should be centered in the middle between the speakers (if not check if the speakers are exactly paralleled, move one baffle only two centimeters back and forth and listen until the imaging becomes right).

Woofer setup:

1) Phase settings: The right phase is essential for natural sound although the changes are relatively subtle.
- Switch one woofer amp "off".
- Rise the croosover frequency for the woofer to max. and also rise the volume a bit
- Turn the phase knob listening to music until the basses are maximum fat and boomy at listening position.
- Reduce the level and crossover to normal.

2) Crossover settings:
- Switch the woofer- amps "off" and listen to the imaging of the baffles only (choose a choir or a big orchestra).
- Switch the woofer- amps "on" and compare the imaging, reduce or rise the crossover-knobs (of both woofer amps, both always the same frequency- settings) to the highest possible frequency which doesn`t affect the imaging of the baffles. My own method is to rise the crossover frequency in about 10 Hz steps from lowest position and compare the imaging of each step to the imaging of the baffles only.

3) Volume:
- The right dose of volume is individual and also depending on the room. In most cases the volume of the woofers is set too high in the beginning.

4) Remarks:
- The phase- and crossover- knobs of the two woofer amps always should be positioned identical.
- The volume may differ a bit because most rooms and speaker placements are not 100% symmetrical, this can follow volume differences in the bass range.
- The quality of records differs a lot and it is impossible to find the right volume for all your records with one volume setting. Choose a position which is fine for you with about 90% of your records and reduce or rise the crossover frequency a bit when you listen to a record which shows a different tonality. Probably you will end with three positions, the middle position is right for most records.

Regards
Robert Bastani

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 18 dipol - Robert Bastani 22:20:39 03/17/09 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.