Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Dragonfly

Hello Roy,

i found the dimensions by trial and error (i use tuneable cabinets for the design, by this i only need to build a few cabinets). DF is a mixture between bass reflex and horn. The volume of cabinet and tuning frequency of the horn is similar to a bass reflex- design. When you plan to adapt this for another driver you need to find specific dimensions for this cabinet- part for the new driver. The horn which follows also works for other drivers of the same size when the systems resonance of the "reflex" partition is similar to the DF values. The DF cabinet uses floor and rear- wall to simulate a big sized hornmouth - the mass of air which is moved by the driver thru the horn and the virtual opening increases a lot and lowers the resonance of the system, so the basses are much more fundamental than other compact horn designs offer. The aim of the DF cabinet design was to get a slim speaker offering deep AND dynamic bass response and also a simple cabinet building for diy. All the factors (driver parameters, reflex partition, dimension of the horn and the virtual mouth formed by the room)take influence, each parameter interacts with all others - highly complexed. For your individual design adapting other drivers of the same size the first steps should be finding the right volume and the right tuning frequency (horn lenght and entry diameter), when this is right you may use the contour of DF to get a satisfying result.

Regards
Robert Bastani

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dragonfly - Robert Bastani 23:14:55 09/23/08 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.