Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Any experiences with different caps in the Prometheus

Your amp can probably take the 16 ohm speakers without a problem. The only other option is to wire in parallel which will give you a 4 ohm speaker. My amps did not like that at all but YMMV. You will get less output but the bass will actually be a little tighter in most cases (at 16 ohms into an 8 ohm tap).
Those tubes are pretty nice from what I have read and heard but they will take quite a bit more cathode current than a mesh plate and will probably sound a bit better when driven harder that is assuming that you are still running at about 68mA or so. If your amp is self biasing their website notes that you can run up to 100mA safely. Elsewhere on AA you can get ideas as to the sound with increased current.
If you get the Tone Tubbies I would get the treated ones and the 16 ohm units as you can parallel those to get a nice 8 ohm speaker. You may have to lower the crossover point a bit in case the TT's don't go quite as high in their response. The tweeters can go much lower than 10kHZ. Go to Audiocircle.com and tap into the open baffle forum if you haven't already.
Best of luck.
Tony

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.