Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Re: Anyone experiment with diferent tweeter padding methods.

Hi Doughter, I went through the exact same thing you are going through now. I now have no resistors in the circuit except in my home theater setup which uses a Receiver for power. Not going to get smooth sound there. If you are using a digital front end, the Magic Twins inserted at the preamp input from the DAC is very important. Next easiest would be a change of a driver tube if you are using tubed gear. Very surprising what that can do. Cabling can be a potential problem as well but most high quality cables will not contribute too much harshness but or course, some do. High capacitance cables seem to be the worst in this regard. Garden Hose cable for instance. (I am trying to go from least expensive to most expensive) Next, if you are using digital, a tubed non oversampling DAC like the Audio Note gear (the kits are reasonable in cost)really makes things a LOT smoother. One more thing (it's free!!) is to ensure that your speakers are not angled much at all. If they are skewed inward much at all the treble will be vicious. If they are close to a rear or side wall, some diffusion (like RPG products) will help a great deal. There is an added benefit that imaging will be improved as well. I think that Robert's worry is that by making the speakers work for really poor recordings you may lose too much when you put a good recording on. I went through this. Even with a switched resistor (one leg shorted, the other with the resistor in line) the switch itself can degrade sound so choose carefully in this regard. Silver contacts are really a must. Once you get your front end components sorted out, there is real magic to be had with these speakers. Best of luck. Please feel free to use the forum for questions. We are here to help.
www.audiospecialtiesofnm.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Anyone experiment with diferent tweeter padding methods. - driguy 17:02:00 01/30/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.