Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

Re: Hi Robert do you sale cone treatmenting materials

Hi Jim,

the technical design of Bastanis o.b.- speakers is different from other wideband- or fullrange- speakers. The 12"- widebands work as flex- cones with a very early cone break- up, over the whole midrange only small partitions of the cone are responsible for the sound. On changing frequencies also these partitions change, so you need to know the exact behaviour of the cone at different fequencies, otherwise it is impossible to make a flex- cone work, beside this only very few cones will work as flex- cones, even when you don`t make mistakes in treatment. The treatment of the wideband- cones itself is complexed, for this i follow a special method in several steps, not good for diy.
Most common diy- treatments for fullrange- or wideband- cones use laquers which dampening the resonances of the cones, this doesn`t work for drivers with whizzer- cones. Here you have some physical effects created by the whizzer- cone itself which can`t be influenced. When you use whizzerless cones you can try to dampen midrange- resonances with laquers based on natural oils which contain Dammar (you can order good working violin- varnishes online from several manufacturers). Best method is to start with the cone- area which is close to the suspension, take two drivers and write down exactly what you do, let the laquer dry and then compare the non- treated with the treated driver. In the next step you can treat small areas of the cone approximately at 40% distance of the cone- radius (from the suspension- side), here you can treat about 50% of this area. Don`t treat the voicecoil- area, here you can experiment with a number of feltpads you glue around this area. Please note that all Dammar- treatments dampen the cone, most diy`ers completely over- dampen the cones by using too much laquer, the result is a completely lifeless sound - less is more when you don`t know exactly what you do.
To my experiences you can change a cone`s sound by a simple method of damping around 10%, in some cases this is very helpful because the aim is achieved when resonances are minimized to non- disturbing levels although they are still there.

Regards
Robert Bastani

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Hi Robert do you sale cone treatmenting materials - Robert Bastani 01:36:37 06/26/06 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.