Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Tripath Battery Powered Audiophile Amp: Initial Impressions

Two weeks ago AA member VinnieR sent me a prototype battery powered amp based on the 10 watt Tripath chip TA2024 for evaluation. Vinnie worked hard on optimizing the signal path, executing his design with the use of audiophile grade components, and employing several discoveries made along the way. The unit came in a natty black anodized aluminum case with machined aluminum volume control and blue LED 'on' light on the front. I should mention that my first impression of his device was its fit and finish. Vinnie did an excellent job on the completed amp.

Initial Sonic Impressions

The goal here was to see how things go with both battery amp AND source, in this case a Scott Nixon DACkit wired for use with 9V power, in use with outstanding speaker drivers of good sensitivity, in this case 96db Radian 508 coaxials, with paper cone and aluminum compression driver horn tweeter in a mass loaded transmission line designed by Greg Monfort using Martin J. King's MathCAD for MLTL. So, we are ready to spin, with one of a kind speakers-and-amp, off the National Electrical Grid for the most part, and this is a happy concept: the need for complicated power conditioning is naught.

Music arises from a completely black background. No noise at all, at any volume level. This only serves to enhance the now well known ability of Tripath amps to "unbundle" individual instruments, even in dense mixes such as large orchestral recordings.

Immediately evident was the warm midrange so typical of the Tripath sonic that seems to remind alot of people of tubes. Though they sound neither solid state nor tube, Tripath amps have, in my opinion, a somewhat curious sonic signature in that they combine warmth with speed, and resolution. When properly implemented they are similtaneously "unimpressive in the best possible way" as Kal Rubinson so aptly put it in his Stereophile review of the Bel Canto eVo2. Ditto here.

Because of rapid access to current made available by battery means, and possibly also because the battery leads are harnessed directly to the Tripath chip, an already fast amp is made Super-fast, possibly the fastest amp I have yet heard. What this does for attack transients has to be heard to be understood. Speaker control is superb, and typical of the best digital amps, allowing all the tonal hues and ambient cues to flow forth, as well as excellent imaging and soundstaging, which seems to be improving as time goes on.

The highs were as I had expected with a new and as yet unworked chip, that is to say, typically etched and strident, particularly noticeable with strings and piano, and other instruments which contain complex harmonics in their treble notes. This was entirely expected, and only over time and play will it be erased. It is well known also that Tripath based amps take their time burning in.

Right out of the box Vinnie Rossi's amp completely eclipses the abilities of the Sonic Impact, well represented on these pages, and the only commercial product known to me to contain this particular chip. This amp is not a hotrod Sonic Impact, but so far clearly qualifies as an audiophile device implemented by an electrical engineer with apparently good ears to boot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Tripath Battery Powered Audiophile Amp: Initial Impressions - DrD 06:59:16 11/30/04 (12)

You can not post to an archived thread.