Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Plinius 9200 buzz/hum in LEFT channel resolved

See the original thread:

www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/38012.html

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I heard back from Gary Morrison of Plinius:

"We have just this past week discovered a batch of transformers for the 9200 that had an excessive external magnetic filed giving rise to exactly what you are describing. This problem seems to develop over time....

There seems to be a difference in production batches of the transformer from different supplier factories. The noisy ones have, and are developing, and excessive leakage flux due to a winding anomaly according to the manufacturer. It has not been obvious in production, and it does not show when the transformer is tested separately."

I requested that the unit be replaced and received a new 9200 yesterday.

Straight out of the box, not yet plugged into the mains, I immediately noticed that the 9200 was absolutety silent! A good start.

Switches on and watches the blue LED wink. Quiet as a mouse in both channels. Just the normal very low hiss from the tweeter, audible with the ear less than 15 cm away in a quiet room. There is also a very low intensity hum from the woofer that is sometimes audible with the ear less than 15 cm away in a quiet room and sometimes barely discernable with the ear as close as possible, depending on the time of day. This I ascribe to mains-borne noise.

Happy ending.

Case closed.

I have now reached my personal point of diminishing returns that forbids any further "upgrading" of source, amp and speakers. This is the best sounding set-up I have personally experienced at anything like its price-point (for my musical taste).

This is as good as it gets for me.

Sony SCD-777ES ----> Plinius 9200 ----> Harbeth Super HL5.
Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects
Kimber 8TC speaker cable terminated with Nordost Z-Plugs

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Plinius 9200 buzz/hum in LEFT channel resolved - douglasM6 14:04:03 02/03/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.