Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Re: Panasonic SA XR 25 VS. SA XR 45 Listening Comparasions. LONG !

Well, I have lots of amps and preamps , but recently I was using Audire Monoblocks , the Noble 2's , basically baby Audire Monarchs.
They were more powerful , but not by as much as you would think.
I have a big JVC reciever , the RX DP 9 that sounded so good on the Von Schweikert VR 2's , but wont even drive the 801's.
I mean, it will make sound, but no bass, no punck.
Properly driven , a set of 801 will rattle the walls , and they do it with the little Panasonic.
BTW,, The JVC weighs almost 60 lbs , has a huge transformer , discrete Outputs , and was tested at 350 watt peaks into 4 ohms ?
I have a Precision Fidelity M 8 Tube/Mosfet Hybrid , 125 wpc I think , and the little Panny does just as good driving the 801's as it does.
I have a Sumo Andromeda too.
I like the litte Panasonic , but I am no longer in a huge room.
But , the way it works on an 801 is this...
Hook an amp up that has no current , and you get almost zero bass.
The Panasonic has excellent bass , not only slam, but definition , and thats just as important to me.
Perhaps in a bigger room , things would be different ?
But the small room makes me hypersensitive to any high frequency gremlins , and I dont hear any on the 45.
To answer your question though , with my very best DAC , and best pre amp playing through the Audire Monoblocks , it sounds better then the Panasonic , but not a whole lot better.
And not better in every way, either.
The Panasonic just has something about it that makes me want to listen to it.
I caught myself talking to it , telling it how I was going to leave it on while I went fishing for the weekend.
I keep telling it that it hasnt any right to be as good as it does .
I actually cussed at it the other day for sounding so good , I was angry.
I dont like change , I liked being the guy on the3 block with all the cool , expensive shit.
Now, anyone can have great sound , and cheaply too, what is this world coming to ?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.