Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Panasonic SA XR 25 VS. SA XR 45 Listening Comparasions. LONG !

I am not going to beat around the bush on this , the 45 is better.
They both have great bass , with excellent pitch definition , and from Male voice on down , sound similar.
I think the 45 has a tad more punch , but its hard to tell.
But from Female voice up , the 45 walks away from the 25.
It is considerably more open and transparent , and dont seem to gloss over high frequency detail as the 25 does.
The image is larger and deeper in all dimensions on the 45.
At first, I didnt like the Digital Remaster feature of the 45 , but I do like it on some recordings.
For instance , listening to Rammstein's Engel track, The Digital Remaster places the Guitar clear back outside and behind the speaker , and allows you to hear the shimmer of the cymbals better.
Many of you who dont have speakers that image and reproduce extreme highs as well as 801's may not hear this , but the re master works well on some recordings , and you can simply turn it off on others.
The 25 dont have it at all.
So, I would overall reccommend the 45 over the 25 UNLESS you have Horns, or other bright speakers requiring some high frequency veiling.
Both the 25 , and the 45 drive the piss out of the 801's , not the worlds easiest speaker to drive.
We plan to try these out on VMPS RM 40's , just for shits and giggles , ha ha .
I havent drug out my horns yet , because the 801's sound so good and I am enjoying the overall sound so much.
The 45 has "Party Mode " that will allow you to bi amp your speakers, AND adjust the levels too !
My Klipsch CF 4 Horns are a two way , using 2 long throw 12's with a Neo Compression driver hooked to a Tractrix horn.
They were great in a larger room , but are a bit too much " in your face " in the smaller room I am now in.
I plan to hook em to the 45 , and simply reduce the gain to the tweeter amp , therby " revoicing " them.
Then perhaps I will be able to tolerate my beloved horns in the small room I now dwell in ?
I put the 25 in my bedroon on the KEF Q1's , its good enough for that , and provides a warm, mellow sound to go to sleep to.
Plus, its small , and fits easily on the dresser.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Panasonic SA XR 25 VS. SA XR 45 Listening Comparasions. LONG ! - ka7niq 06:34:09 12/15/03 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.