Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Carver Pro ZR versus Audiosource 6.1T / 6.2T Tripath Amps

There appears to be a building consensus on the Asylum that the Carver Professional ZR500, ZR1000, ZR1600 Tripath amps are remarkable. I think all Asylum reviewers and owners so far have described them as unexcelled in absolute audio terms (comparable to the PS Audio "Class A" amp reviewed recently in Stereophile), combining the best of tube with the best of solid state attributes, and outperforming ALL other power amps they've owned.

And these Carver Pro Tripaths begin at about $500, and max out at under $1000! Then, today, I came across one Asylum commentator who agreed with this assessment, but based his agreement on his AudioSource 6.1T/6.2T Tripath amps. AudioSource is owned by Phoenix Gold, as is Carver Professional (apparently NO relation whatsoever to Bob Carver's audio companies), and it looks from AudioSource's website like the companies are really the same organization, e.g., they share a single V.P. of engineering.

Here are my questions: The AudioSource 6.1T / 6.2T Tripath amps aren't available to consumers yet. But at least one inmate says he owns 'em already. How is that possible? And, regardless of how he got 'em, can we compare the Carver Pro to the Audiosource directly? A bunch of us would like to know whether to wait for the 6T series, because it has some advantages for the home audio enthusiast, notably, from the photos it looks like:

- It will be cheaper (about $350 for the equivalent of the ZR500!)
- It will have a variable headphone output (hopefully a "real" one!)
- It will have RCA inputs and normal speaker outputs (not Neutronik)
- It will be much, much cuter and smaller. Looks like it's about the size of two or three external modems taped together! (In fact, for minimalists and miniaturists like me, if the 6T is a winner, imagine the implications: My reference dream system could consist of two itty bitty black boxes -- the Placette Remote Volume Control, and a 6T -- plus an SACD source. The contrast with reference systems of yore boggles the mind!)

So consider this an appeal for an in-depth comparison of the 6T series to the ZR series, a judgement as to whether they're comparable, and additional info on when the 6T's might become available to consumers...

The specs are slightly different, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything because the 6T specs on the web may be prototype specs. These could be the exact same amps, packaged differently.

It boggles the mind to think that we are discussing the possibility of reference grade 100W power amps for $350. Exciting times, these!

Kent

P.S. The 6.XT series amps aren't even discussed on AudioSource's website yet. But one vendor has pre-release publicity info on his website. See http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/as/modseps.html. BTW, I have no affiliation whatsoever with any dealer, manufacturer, etc. etc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Carver Pro ZR versus Audiosource 6.1T / 6.2T Tripath Amps - Kent2003 13:21:35 09/11/03 (66)

You can not post to an archived thread.