Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Follow-Up on Earlier Post and Some Notes on Sony HAP S1 (long)

You're right. From what I can find about input sensitivity for Classe products circa '90's 00's it is low.

Which would still be okay but in his CAP 101 the db increases are incremental and at low volume are quite large over a very short range before they taper off to .5 dB steps.

So with the HAP at 2.5mv fixed output he is hitting full volume very quickly.

Fancy volume circuitry and read out display. (Can't just put a resistor across the pot!)

But looking at reviews as recent as 2014, that old discontinued integrated can still hold it's own.

Essentially he is using his passive variable out set low on his CDP and now has a variable passive on his HAP. Maybe not the best sonically, but more flexible. (Sorry I keep repeating myself!)

I'm in the same boat with an '80's pre, but have learned to live with essentially 4 positions on my volume control for line source. 16 steps or so with phono.

Cheers!

Jonesy

"I know just enough to get into trouble. But not enough to get out of it."

Edits: 02/12/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Follow-Up on Earlier Post and Some Notes on Sony HAP S1 (long) - Jonesy 17:15:39 02/12/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.