Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Might have been these things

All the new connections you created. Did you use the same interconnects as when you were only using 5 of the 7 channels? What new cables did you introduce besides the Y's?

Also you ran seven channels of the amp for the first time. I have never seen a multichannel amp or receiver able to run all of its channels to full output. The FTC does not require them to spec wise either. So the power supply in the amp had to work a lot harder to drive seven channels than five and was not likely up to it.

When I was in the biz we measured good expensive gear that would easily give the rated output on each channel with two, three and sometimes four, but never five channels driven at once. Never.

Also some of the Revels are 6 ohm. When you remove the shorting bar to bi-am[p measure the DCR of each set of terminals with an ohm meter. If the LF section is only four ohms that also would provide a tougher load to drive and may be an issue in your attempted implementation.

So while Im glad the switch back is an improvement you owe it to yourself to do that extra research and find out some things.

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.