Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Tube Rolling With the Schiit Freya Preamp

Preamp: Schiit Freya
Amp: W4S ST 500
Speakers: Magnepan 1.6s with a heavily modified crossover
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Interconnects: Neotech NEI-3004 Balanced Deep Cryo
Speaker Cable: Solid Silver Homebuilt
Power Conditioner: PS Audio UPC-200 (does not improve sound)
Music: Classical with lots of choral music
Player: foobar
Listening position: Nearfield
Volume: The softer side of moderate

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I wanted this to focus on the Schiit Freya.

Stock Tube: 68HC Russian
Not a bad tube. Has punch which may cause a midrange glare on some CDs, but some of my most pleasurable listening came from this tube! Extended highs. Recommended

RCA 6SN7GTB: Bottom getter (used)
Had a slight hum. Warm. Prone to some midrange glare. $6 per tube on ebay. Not Recommended

Sylvavia 6SN7GTA: NOS Chrome top, short tube. Has what looks like 491 printed on the base
Be careful with the Sylvavias because there are so many versions and not all are good. This one that I took a chance on is great! Like a clear Spring day with new life everywhere! Extended highs. No midrange glare. Detailed. $38 each on ebay, but can be found used for much less. See above photos. Highly Recommended!!!

Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB: Russian Reissue
Sucked the life out of the Freya! However, reviewers tended to love or hate these tubes! $16 per tube on ebay. Not Recommended!!!

Note that I listen to classical with a lot of choral music so I cannot comment on the lows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Humility is the true mark of genius. Just get used to it."
-Anonymous

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Tube Rolling With the Schiit Freya Preamp - scruffy_ 05:16:58 01/24/17 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.