Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I am not surprized with that, either

With Rogue I have used several premps that I can remember. Musical Fidelity CD Pre24, Acurus RL11?!?, Myriad MP100 and VTL finally 2.5.

I do not find Stereo 90 bright but neutral, like good SS. But, it is sensitive to tubes rolling and I recall that it became bright when using Electro-Harmonix even more when partnered with the same or Sovtek (12AX7LPS?!?, 6SN7 Sylvania) diver tubes. Neutral with SED 6550 and Tungsol driver rubes, on the softer side the same with Myllard NOS 12AX7. Can not remember that I used it other than SED and EH power tubes, but I tried various 12AX7 and 6SN7, Tungsol, Myllard, Matsushita, Sovtek, Sylvania, RCA...

I tried driving various amps, including amps discussed, directly with various DACS, phono preamps and was never happy. Sound seemed cleaner, but ultimately never right; usually boring, bleached, missing a soul.

With CJ I used VTL 2.5 only. I love it very much. I am sorry that I will repeat their motto, but it just sounds right. There is just rightness in timbre, dynamics coherence, sound stage, flow, and hart of the music. I can not say that bass is this, mid is that, treble such and such, it is one of the amps that makes everything fit together right.

CJ is not what people imagine thinking of old CJ amps with EL34 tubes, presuming stock tubes. It can be made somewhat warmer or leaner by swapping tubes but it never changes basic character, you can say that it is less sensitive than Stereo 90 to tube rolling.

If I have to describe, MV60SE in comparison to Stereo 90 has more body and better coherence, even when CJ is in UL and 90 in triode mode.

For those who like tubier sound, they can use EL34 in MV60SE (they are the same amps but set for different tuber, can be converted to either) and I presume switching to triode. Drawback is that it requires "surgery".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.