Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Thanks Abe . . .

Your posts over the past few years were certainly a factor in my auditioning the Cronus Magnum II and so far I'm very happy I pulled the trigger.

I really liked the SLI-80 in the triode setting. It sounded really clean and clear and nice. But in the ultralinear setting, it just sounded off to me. Somehow just a bit unbalanced and unnatural. That said, it's been about 15 years since I auditioned the SLI-80. Perhaps the newer versions are different, but I remember being put off enough by the ultralinear setting that I took a pass. It's actually amazing how long it's been in continual production. Beautiful looking.

I auditioned the SLI-80 shortly after 9/11, and I drove to work with it in the trunk of my car the day that I returned it. At the time every car was searched before entering the parking garage, and the security guard got a bit freaked out when he saw it. He said, "Um, Sir, WHAT is that THING in your trunk?" Actually, that's the only reason I can remember how long ago it was!
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks Abe . . . - JoshT 20:56:13 01/20/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.