Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My cheap Sony beat out my Marantz. Go figure.

For what it's worth, I own the Marantz PM8003 which is a couple generations old now. I -think- it was in the $1000 MSRP class (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I bought it new on closeout so I paid significantly less.

We used it as our 2-channel integrated amp in the family room mainly for the TV with streaming music services and movies. Plain ole 2-channels. No sub, no surrounds. The Marantz was driving my Tannoy S8LR bookshelf speakers which are not very difficult to drive.

I always felt the sound from the Marantz was a little soft, possibly slightly veiled, with not a lot of top end. I confirmed this when I bought my used Ayre AX-7e integrated which is in my office setup. I compared the two and the Ayre was in a totally different league and much better than the Marantz. I chocked it up to the big price difference and Ayre's reputation in the audiophile community.

But wait, there's more to this story!

After accumulating more "AV stuff" like the Sony blu-ray player, AppleTV box, Amazon Fire TV, etc., I decided I needed a cheap AV receiver mainly for it's HDMI switching capabilities so I could route all of the devices into the AV receiver and have just one HDMI cable going up to the wall mounted TV. I didn't want to spend a lot and all I really needed was 2-channels. I pulled the trigger on a low-end Sony 5.2 ch AV receiver keeping my fingers crossed that it would sound half decent, in addition to offering the HDMI switching. The bonus would be the Sony's remote control compatibility with my Sony TV and the Sony blu-ray player.

The low-end Sony STRDH550 5.2 Channel AV receiver [I'm only using 2 channels] at $200 actually sounds more open and extended and overall just "better" than the $1000 Marantz integrated in this setup. I am baffled.

We did this "upgrade" only a couple months ago. Maybe I just don't like the Marantz sound or maybe this is typical for entry level Marantz and not their higher-end stuff ??? I don't know.

The $200 Sony STRDH550 for our TV setup [I paid $145 on sale around the holiday]

The Tannoy S8SL speakers. Not my photo, but just like my pair

The Marantz PM8003

Edits: 01/17/17 01/17/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.