Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Both dedicated circuits were fed from the same Line ,Leg, in the electrical panel.

Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Though I should mention I have read posts where a user had big 600 watt mono block krell amps fed from two dedicated circuits installed on Line 1 and Line 2, (240V potential between the 2 hot contacts of the 120V dedicated branch circuits), without any adverse SQ problems.

In this instance the importance of the integrity of the electrical safety
equipment ground is of the upmost importance. It could/would prove to be quite dangerous/lethal if the equipment ground was defeated/lifted on either amp or both.

//

3+4=5,

You got me thinking while reading your post. A while back on the Agon forum I was responding to a guy that lives in Chicago Il. Chicago has some old out of date electrical codes that are still required by their city AHJ, (Authority Having Jurisdiction). Still to this day branch circuit wiring must be installed in EMT conduit inside a single family dwelling unit.

What really peaked my attention was the use of multi wire branch circuits where the neutral is shared with two hot wires, (two separate 120V circuits). One must be fed from one Line, leg, the other fed from the other Hot Line, leg, in the electrical panel......
(Note: Only the imbalanced load of the 2 hot conductors returns on the neutral conductor to the electrical panel.)

For any of you that live in Chicago be damn careful if you personally try replacing any wall duplex receptacles convenience outlets where the device is used as a junction point for the shared white neutral conductor. You might have the HOT circuit feeding that duplex receptacle de-energized but if the other hot circuit of the 3 wire multi conductor branch circuit is still energized you may receive a lethal electrical shock when breaking, disconnecting, the neutral wires from the duplex receptacle..... TAKE A GOOD LOOK INSIDE the wall duplex receptacle outlet box for another HOT circuit wire passing through the same box.

I have also found Florida use to use a lot of 3 wire with ground Romex multi wire branch circuits.

Informational note:
Just going from memory I believe the 2008 NEC Edition starting requiring all multi wire branch circuits must be fed from a multi pole breaker or breakers using an approved common trip handle.... That does not mean the AHJ in your area adopted the change......

//

Check out the Link/video below on how a multi wire circuit shared neutral works.

Edits: 01/16/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Both dedicated circuits were fed from the same Line ,Leg, in the electrical panel. - jea48 13:11:43 01/16/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.