Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: NEW speakers & wire frying amp at low volumes?

Get your hands on a voltmeter and see what the battery is reading when noise occurs, with and without tender. And you can measure across corroded terminals to see if there is a voltage drop. And make sure you measure voltage at the amplifier 12V + to - while the music is playing. That is what you care about. One guess is that noise occurs when the voltage is low due to discharge or a weak battery or corrosion. Measuring before you clean the connections etc., will tell you if low voltage is the problem. An 18 amp battery isn't much power. I didn't look up your amplifier but some consume a lot of power

Search youtube clips etc., it will show you how to clean and seal battery terminals and why the corrosion occurs (different metals used for the contacts and battery gassing).

Like you wrote, some amplifiers don't like low impedance, so make sure your speaker wires aren't shorted + to -, and make sure that your crossover to the subs are hooked up as shown in crossover instructions.

If the voltage is OK and crossover etc., is hooked up correctly, you could have some kind of problem in the amplifier itself.

If it is an amplifier problem and you inquired about possible cause, you wrote: "at the time, the sub was disconnected, but the wires were still in the amp, which shouldn't make a difference as the rear channel wasn't receiving a signal anyways as i also disconnected the rear ins i had split the left and right for with Y cables. when i'd used the proels."

If you did this with 12 volts to the amplifier, signal or no signal, and the wires shorted, you could still damage the amplifier. Just depends on the amplifier, some designs are much better than others with dealing with shorts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.