Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: More Confused Every Day

At your price target, suggest you watch Craigslist, here and ebay for an integrated amplifier or receiver. Sherwood's get rave reviews, Eico, Dynaco, Fisher, Heathkit, probably missed a few. Look at the Vintage forum to see how to update. You should be able to find something good for $300 - $400, but may take some patience.

Speakers are more a matter of personal taste, but you will need to look at efficiency if the amplifier you buy is EL84. Not much power, but great sound. There are excellent vintage speakers, but speakers are something that has gotten better at a reasonable price. Wherever you can, listen to as many as you have the opportunity, a lot of brands have their characteristic sound. I may take some heat on this, but general rule of thumb on speakers is where the companies are located, look for US, UK, Canada, Germany.

Another route to consider is lower power amplification with smaller speakers for highs and midrange and powered subwoofer. It is the bass that uses the power, so you can get away with less power/expensive amplification. And there seems to be good deals on used powered subwoofers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: More Confused Every Day - fredtr 07:47:05 01/10/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.