Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: That's the, aptly named, death cap. Nt

Okay! However, the human body has resistance so I was modeling the human body as a dead short with zero resistance for maximum current from 120-volt source. If your body has 50k-ohms resistance, the current through your body would be 1.65-mA with a voltage drop of 82.3-volts. If your body has 500k-ohms resistance, the current would 0.239-mA with a voltage drop of 28.6-volts.

Quote:

The NIOSH states "Under dry conditions, the resistance offered by the human body may be as high as 100,000 Ohms. Wet or broken skin may drop the body's resistance to 1,000 Ohms," adding that "high-voltage electrical energy quickly breaks down human skin, reducing the human body's resistance to 500 Ohms."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock

Well, I don't have one of those old capacitors and I can't imagine why anyone would use one in that application. However, I just tried touching a modern 0.05-uF capacitor connected to my line voltage and I definitely could feel the shock. I used two fingers on one hand rather than both hands because I didn't want the current going through my heart. My finger tips tingled. It felt kind of like touching a little 9-volt battery to my tongue. Have you ever tried that. I didn't want to hold on to it very long, but it didn't hurt me.

John,
The old paper condenser was the capacitor that was used in the old guitar amps from the 1940s, 1950s, and probably the early 1960s. Not sure about the 1960s though.

However, I just tried touching a modern 0.05-uF capacitor connected to my line voltage and I definitely could feel the shock.
I used two fingers on one hand rather than both hands because I didn't want the current going through my heart.

If you are willing to try the test again, using your two fingers, first wet your fingers with your mouth and do the test again. Report back your findings.

Jim

Edits: 10/30/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.