Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Power amps, and 7.1 denon

Yeah, I went with a Krell FPB 400cx monster amp to go with my Denon X5200 receiver, to try to get "bigger" sound out of my big Legacy Audio speakers. I have to say, I think it helped, but it is not a night and day difference, if that is what you're looking for.

The thing is, with using separate power amps with receivers, there are a few issues to try to figure out and optimize. These are the things I'm currently working on.

1. How do you know the receiver's analog output is optimally driving the power amp? I don't really understand this stuff, but don't some power amps require a certain voltage input to be driven optimally? What about impedance matching?

2. Cabling: IMO, you need really good cables with great bass characteristics, both for the analog interconnects and speaker cables. As to the speaker cables, I'm beginning to gather that you want at least 10awg cable for optimal bass impact and power.

3. Receiver setup: I assume you've already done this, but if you want to see the woofers "move", you need to, in your receiver's speaker setup menu, set the front L/R channels(and any other channels if they have large speakers) to the "Large" speaker setting, so as to send a full range signal to those speakers. If you want to integrate them with a sub and they are set to the "Small" setting, make sure their crossover setting is at 40Hz or lower, or they will not be receiving a signal with enough low frequency to actually move the woofers very much.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Power amps, and 7.1 denon - mtrot 07:32:49 10/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.