Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

If you look at the review by Stereophile

You will find that there is a low-pass filter for the Base Module but with the OP's items it's inside the Base Module and not in an external box.

The real flaw in the EOS design is that the main module is tuned to 40hz by a port but there is no HP filter to the main module.

So the design is prone to excursion overload below the port frequency, by high level (full power -3db) low bass (below 40 Hz signals going to the main module. Adding to this problem is the low sensitivity of the design.
You can either

i) fix that problem somewhere in the wide band-pass between the two modules and go with active low-pass alone, in the existing band-pass between the two modules. Plus a line-level passive HP to the amps driving the main module, 1st or 2nd order is doable.

(Because the MM is time & phase coherent, I think a 1st order PLL feeding the Main Module amps would retain more of its designed in impulse response. The response would cascade to 5th and cone bounce would fall enough to help.) OR

ii) get rid of the existing passive LP xover that is inside the Base Module and actively bi-amp 4LR at say 70 Hz. System headroom would increase even more dues to the higher xover.

Adding a 20Hz HP filter would avoid overloading the Base Module. There's a 40Hz subsonic add-on in the DBX xover which 'might' be convertible to 20Hz. Which would give even more headroom.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If you look at the review by Stereophile - Timbo in Oz 00:29:20 10/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.