Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Not enough power from Phono Preamp?

The best sounding inexpensive phono preamp that I've ever heard is the Yaqin MS-22B, but it cost me $200 on eBay. I think, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent sounding phono stage for less than $500 otherwise.

I just built a Vacuum Tube Audio kit phono preamp that cost $710 for the kit and it sounds better than my Yaqin MS-22B. However, before buying the Vacuum Tube Audio kit, I bought two different $400 phono preamps that didn't sound as good as my Yaqin MS-22B, which has now been replaced by the newer model MS-23B.

Therefore, I think you're going to have to spend more than $150 on a phono stage. Furthermore, if the only reason you're buying a new phono stage is because you don't like the position of your volume control, you might as well save your money. Two O'clock is the optimum position for any volume control when listening to music. I once owned a Mark Levinson preamp that had different gain settings controlled by internal dip-switches. The manual said to set the dip-switches so the volume control was at one or two o'clock for normal listening.

Best regards,
John Elison

Edits: 09/23/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Not enough power from Phono Preamp? - John Elison 20:47:15 09/23/16 (1)
    • Yes - Awe-d-o-file 08:25:41 09/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.