Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Solid state headphone amp with SET sound

I think it would be useful to more clearly characterize what you mean by "SET sound." You can't actually hear an amplifier just by itself- you have to connect it to speakers or headphones first....

Do you mean the sound of a good quality SET amp driving high-efficiency horn speakers? That's how most of us have "heard a SET amp," it's what I think of when I think of "SET sound." You won't get that sound from headphones, really. A horn speaker of 2-way or 3-way (or MORE-way) design presents a fairly complex load to the SET amp and there will a deviation from flat frequency response due to ohms-law interactions between the amp's source (output) impedance and the impedance of the speaker which will vary with frequency. Headphones don't exhibit so much impedance variation over frequency as do speakers, so the SET amp and headphones just can't sound the same as that same amp with the 2- or 3-way speakers.

A single-driver speaker would be closer to the impedance characteristics of headphones, but even here the speaker will show a lot more variation of impedance over frequency than headphones will.

So, if by "SET sound" you mean the way a SET sounds on speakers, well, you're just not likely to get that particular flavor with headphones, no matter what amp you use.
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 09/16/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Solid state headphone amp with SET sound - triamp 04:54:13 09/16/16 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.