Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

The bass crossover is at 200-220 Hz, so I would give it a go

If it is much above 200Hz the tonal character of the bass amp may become audible and not match.

Taking the 87.5db spec at face value, you would need 22.5db of power (> 150 watts pc) in a single stereo power amp to play loud orchestral music at concert levels. 40 - 80 watts RMS pc AB1 from a PP valve amp, given the typical 3db headroom of valve amps, should be plenty. A triode option would be good for smaller scale intimate works.

It would be a good idea to find out the range of gain (x to y volts in for output of 1 watt OR in dB ) on the bass amp.

Then check that the prospective valve amp's gains are within that range.

If you have AC for Summer you'll be fine, if not, consider a good sounding AB1 SS 80wpc amp for the hot months.

In the longer term a bespoke or adjustable xover that matches the slopes and Eq of the original passive circuit just might sound a teeny bit better, and give you a bit more loudness, though I doubt that would be significant.

I'd also recommend that you consider picking up a stereo 1/3rd octave equalizer to Eq the bass range to 200hz. That's assuming you haven't gone all-digital, when a room-DSP box becomes an option. eg. Dspeaker or Mini-DSP. I believe Mini-Dsp's range of boxes are flexible re crossover slopes and frequency.

Warmest

Tim Bailey

Skeptical Measurer & Audio Scrounger

Edits: 09/13/16 09/13/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The bass crossover is at 200-220 Hz, so I would give it a go - Timbo in Oz 15:39:12 09/13/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.