Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: quad 50e monoblocks

I think you are wrong about the circuit as they came out before the 303 and many lament that they don't use the triplex circuit. They were made for a really long time not sure when they started but I think it was before stereo took over completely and were made until 83! They can be run in balanced mode ( not true balance) and were often chained together over very long distances, and were used in all kinds of industrial set ups hence the weird connectors that can drive a crazy variety of impedences. I got them on ebay many years ago. Most quad people prefer the 303 bridged to use as a monoblock but one guy who owned both went back to the 50e as it had more "slam". I agree but oddly they require a pretty sensitive speaker, 50 watts is probably accurate as almost all manufacturers seem to underrate power, so keep that in mind. Also has a unique output transformer as it has many windings most of which are not used in any particular configuration. This does however mean that you can bi-wire them, which I wish to explore in the future. I also want to hard wire the output to get rid of those weird connectors. I could finance the whole job by selling the connectors and the balancing output transformers. Some guy in England does something that more than doubles the power.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: quad 50e monoblocks - glue tech 15:16:50 09/10/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.