Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Question on VTL 2.5

I picked this up from a local dealer recently, this is a 2003 model and was at VTL about 3 years ago for a checkup and received a clean bill of health.

That being said, this is my first tube pre and I can say that it sounds amazing. I have some RCA 12AU7A, Mullard CV 4003, and CV 4024 for the AT7 slots, along with the stock JJ ECC81,82 that are about 2 years old.

The Mullards in both slots are slightly rich in bass, but not bad, I also am missing bass traps so that may not be the fault of the tubes.

The only thing that bothers me, and perhaps it's the nature of the pre, but I can hear a hiss from my speakers with the volume on "0". My amp is a B&K 200.2, and the speakers are Polk SDA with fresh caps and resistors, basically fresh crossovers and they have a good 750 hours on them, the speakers are right about 92db efficient.

With the stock JJ tubes, the hiss is louder, with the Mullards or Mullard/RCA combo, the hiss is slightly lower but definitely audible. I can hear the hiss from about 3 feet away with the volume on "0"

In the quiet passages, with the volume at about 30% I can hear the hiss from my listening position about 10' away. The hiss isn't overwhelming, but I know it's there.

Is this normal for a tube pre-amp, perhaps impedance mismatch?

Just looking for some thoughts and ideas, I love this preamp, but I want to be sure it's either normal or not normal.

Thanks, all input appraciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Question on VTL 2.5 - dyl71 14:16:01 09/09/16 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.