Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Latest hifimediy Tripath T4 amp module

You need a big supply, yes, and linear supplies seem to sound better than switching power supplies. Linear supply like a transformer, diodes and filter caps... and the big-ish caps on the board itself help supply & sink current without the inductance of the wiring between the supply and the amp module. This inductance, though small, is not zero and using caps right near the amp module eliminates it, gives lower source impedance for the DC. Using "audio grade" caps which usually have very low inductance and ESR seems to help too. Of course they are usually bypassed with VERY low ESR film caps which is also useful.

But using good capacitors in the power supply itself is also a good idea, helps keep that source impedance low.

The switchmode amp module itself is, I think, largely responsible for the overall "sound" but won't achieve it's full goodness without the right power supply.

I think a beefy shunt-type regulated supply works somewhat better than an unregulated transformer-diodes-filter cap type supply, but this is quite an additional expense, adds a lot of heat, and provides only a LITTLE better sound if done right.
Science doesn't care what you believe.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.