Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Some advice? Left Naim, tubes aren't working and McIntosh is a dissapointment

Just from a quick read it sounds like you're hoping all this works out with money and name brands.

Kick it back a notch. Take the phono out of the equation and hook up a cheaper CDP and give a second listen. Maybe the phono stage on the Mac isn't up to his taste.

Also as already mentioned can you try it with different speakers? I also think this is a problem area.

It also sounds like he wants one thing but he keeps buying something else. Just my two cents but it sounds like what you are looking for IS a tube stereo.

I'm also going to ASSUME here. These speakers are early to mid 90's. Poly cones of that era are NOTORIOUS for sounding pretty crappy.

Lastly everyone seems to dance around this point and ignore it. McIntosh is great gear but McIntosh has a VERY TASTE SPECIFIC sound signature that is NOT for everyone.

I would consider different speakers. Don't worry too much about sensitivity.

I resolved this problem by using a Conrad Johnson preamp and using a NEW VTA ST-70 amp with KT66 tubes. It has a new modern tube sound signature. Like that really makes sense!!! But it does. Keeps it tube like but not resolves bad rap tubes used to get.

Speakers - wow you gotta big choice there!!! But start with them.

Charles

Addendum: If your friend did not like that Mac on first listen he never will. Your first impression is usually the right one. So move on with that as well. And yeah the looks of those Mac's are hypnotic. That's the problem you can't move on cosmetically. If he stays with Mac consider a different integrated. A more recent production. the 6300 was never a favorite.

Edits: 08/10/16 08/10/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.