Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Preamp shootout

So, you just thought you would get your slams in without my rebuttal and the best you can do is say "I'm on vacation"?

You are simply a fanboy for AN, you have been for years and everyone here knows it biases your opinions. I won't comment on LM because I like the sound of the gear and a designer I respect says it is very well made.

Whether I like the E or not is immaterial, the speaker has obvious flaws both standard FR issues and cabinet resonance. I hear these clearly when I listen to a pair. You seem to dig these colorations as do some others...at least for a while. I know a few people who moved on from these speakers, which are rather obviously colored and voiced a particular way. After having box less speakers for many years I find these colorations a distraction from real resolution of the music signal.

I heard no such integration issues with my Ref 3as going from soft dome to Be. Maybe my old ones are superior to the new models? Some people who are into the brand think so. My old ones were what built the reputation of the brand.

I won't comment further on Odeon as your lack of experience with the brand means you have no clue what you are talking about. I will say though that since buying mine, two friends bought Odeons and on guy on thus forum and all have told me how happy they were with the sound.

Your "crusade " against planar speakers is probably one of most baffling things about you though. I get Magnepan to some extent as they lack some low level resolution and some ML models, but big ribbons and stats can sound simply amazing and realistic in ways the AN E could only dream of. That you cannot hear this is a disturbing thing as you are a reviewer. Big Apogees were THE reviewer speaker until they went out of business. There is a good reason; besides being very natural and enjoyable to listen to they also reveal differences in gear better than just about anything else. Some stats and some horns do as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.