Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Preamp shootout

agreed. But a lot of people seem to feel that if something sounds bright and tinny that it is accurate. The issue really comes to the latter - the warmer - many speakers that are deemed accurate - never seem to be able to sound warm or lush or full and thick. They can only produce what John Marks noted one speaker as sounding like an X-ray of the music.

I often agree with Morricab but he leans to speakers IMO that can only reproduce the XRay sound - Reference 3a with BE to me is ear bleeding - every albuum I have put through them or the Odeons sounds BRIIIIIGHT and thin and edgy. Stereophile's graph very clearly bears out the Odeon being insanely bright and so were the subjective comments. I can't stomach almost all ribbons for the exact same reasons - they can't reproduce warmth when it is on the recording. Very few horns have that strength in their back pocket. Nothing wrong with that - horns are spectacular on percussion which a silk dome is hardly going to capture.

And since No speaker is accurate or remotely accurate - you choose your poisons. And the poison I choose is the poison where I can listen to my entire music collection and enjoy it. Not some forumer who tells me XYZ is "accurate" and I "should buy it because it is accurate" and then 90% of my recordings sound thin and edgy and I can't listen to it for more than an hour. You'll note that most of those people tend to buy and sell and spend an awful lot of time talking about the next speakers every six months over and over and over again on these forums.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.