Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

This is Good News that the GAS Thalia II surprises you !

It is great to hear that a nearly 30 year old solid state preamp can compete with the "good company" you have already listened with and enjoyed.

Has this GAS unit been upgraded with any new parts ? I have always wanted a Thaedra or Thoebe and wondered if the simpler Thalia could even sound better than those full function units. The slide-controls on the Thoebe always scared me away; as they did on SAE gear. GAS hyped the "Servo-Loop" techno babble; even for the rare Goliath headamp they offered for a short while. All of their mm preamps used active feedback phono EQ, of course; as did the Phase Linear stuff from the earlier and same era. From the West Coast designers, before Threshold, GAS was tops IMHO. Your SP-8 also uses feedback phono EQ; which I believe to be a very good sounding practice...

So, now that you have been fascinated with this little gem for more than a few hours, could you try and "compare notes" against your SP-8 for us ? Inquiring minds want to know....Is the Thalia sweet and detailed or neutral sounding ? You mentioned "spacious...and clean with great bass detail..." Could you please elaborate ? Finding ss preamps that image well and throw a huge soundstage is a tough search. I am fascinated with the sonics from certain solid state phono preamps and it sounds like the Thalia might warrant that short list.

Enjoy that preamp !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • This is Good News that the GAS Thalia II surprises you ! - Interstage Tranny 21:02:37 07/21/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.