Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Vitus Reference

My system is listed. I've been trying different speakers and most likely will settle down longer term with Magico S1, Dynaudio C1, or KEF Reference 1.

I like the Luxman. It has a natural, effortless sound that is easy to listen to for song after song and isn't picky about what you try to play through it. Treble is extended, not rolled off, but smooth. There is a sense of fullness and weight in the upper bass and lower midrange. It throws a big, deep soundstage. One weakness is that the middle of the midrange seems a bit recessed, like somebody added a little bit of loudness control. It's subtle but noticeable. Also, I sometimes listen to fast jazz fusion and electronic music, and when I do I miss the greater speed and immediacy of my Simaudio.

The Ayre AX-5 I had was better than the Luxman in the midrange and in overall transparency and resolution, but it was too soft & fuzzy in the bass and the treble was a little dry & whitish. I really miss the Ayre midrange though.

Based on what I've read, the biggest concern I have with the Vitus is the low damping factor of 20, which is tube amp territory. When I've heard low DF amps (tubes) with my preferred type of speaker, the results have always been too ripe & plummy in the bass for my tastes. A secondary concern with the Vitus is service, only because they don't have a big presence in the US.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.