Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Just so we are clear- class A is the lowest distortion class of operation

" is still the speakers. Can y'all say "10 percent harmonic distortion"? (Oops, there's another can o' worms!)"

Mostly low order and mostly in the bass where the hearing is far less sensitive. Probably makes the sound "fuller" than one without it.

With speakers it is still the problem with materials creating bending and breakup modes, storage and release of acoustic energy etc. rather than actual harmonic distortion from the driver non-linearities (they have gotten this part pretty good over the years).

Keep in mind that this kind of distortion is not the same type as generated by electronics, which have far more high order content in the distortion.

I once helped a friend by a stereo system. She (yes she) originally wanted a home theater but after we got a nice set of stereo speakers (AudioPlan Kontrast IIIi) she decided to have a good stereo instead. We auditioned many amps and some made the speakers sound truly and fundamentally different...not just a flavor change. The worst was the integrated Denon she already had...perhaps it was broken but the sound came out so flat, hard and aggressive as well as being stuck to the speakers that she was dumbfounded that it could sound so different. In the end she bought a SET (Cary CAD-572se monos) and a tube preamp (Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid, which I built for her) because that simply sounded far better with the same speaker and wires. She went from zero to SET cultist in one step!! She has very good ears (and brain) and it showed during her evaluations.

Distortion of the speaker itself didn't change but the distortion of the signal coming through it certainly did and it was easily (and sometimes painfully) audible. My guess is that the Denon probably measured just fine by objective standards (although I cannot confirm but it was probably 10 years old) but sounded like doodoo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.