Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: EAR 509 reissue, seeking opinions

What preamp will the power amp be mated with (in the case of the 509)? Details of other system components and musical tastes, room size etc. may help inmates advise you.

The Turnberrys are very sensitive (Tannoy quote 93dB) so is there a particular need for circa 100w /channel? As the Zanden specifications give no distortion figures even though power output is shown as 90 watts, 100 watts maximum, I would query the actual output as judged by conventional standards.

I don't know the prices that you pay in India but here (UK), the Zanden 6000 is twice the price of the EAR 509 which would be a significant matter when making a choice, at least for me. However the two products are not strictly comparable the Zanden 6000 being described as an integrated amp and the EAR 509 being a pair of mono power amps.

The new 509 is not just a simple remake of its predecessor having a smaller chassis and an LED display for tube biasing which I don't recall the earlier ones having (I may be wrong). It certainly benefits from a 30 year history of manufacture and the lessons learnt by EAR Yoshino over that time, particularly for matters such as reliability.

Edits: 06/30/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.