Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Bryston comes through...

Thanks for the reply, didn't want to make my "problems" your problems, was just looking for more...observations.

Looking at some measurements I made in early '15, when it was cooler ambient, and putting them together with those I made last week, I sort of retract some of the things I say. Or at least put some more ???s around them.

My thinking now is the (my) amps were designed, or set up, to run at the temp they do. This is their natural operating temp. No load or a "heavy" load, that's the temp they eventually reach (1-2 hours) and settle at. Even with a ridiculous-sized fan blowing or sucking over the amp, all it does is forestall the inevitable.

I bet they slightly reduced the bias in later builds of the model. It is a very low noise though, probably nobody cares, it's not like you can hear it in any real-world listening situation. It's just so damn hot though, but not like "touching a tube" hot. Much ado about nothing most likely, I just like to make sure everything's working properly and longevity isn't compromised etc., and this amp has been working this way for >7 years so far.

The 6s are similar in one design way in that the heat sinks are "internal", unlike the (cool-running) e.g. 4s with their large external heat sinks. Not a lot of (simple) options for dispersing the heat beyond convection for the relatively little bits of heat sink that peeks out on the 9s.

Yeah, I only use the 9 for movies, very little mch music in comparison, it does the surround channels. Except for maybe the center ch, it just lazes along most of the time.

Edit: oh yeah, all the speakers my 9 is driving are Paradigms too. Re the 4B-SST3, it's hard to go wrong with the 4. Maybe not to everyone's sonic taste, but a solid choice nonetheless. I had the chance when I first got my 4B-SST2 to compare with the SST and ST 4s. I kept the ST and sold the SST because I could get far more for the more-current SST. The ST is still here, waiting for a proper job. I had planned to use it for sub duty, but ended up going a different way. Maybe some more Atmos channels, any excuse...

Edits: 06/26/16 06/26/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.