Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Give Tom some time...

Thanks Guys for your responses. I've determined that most of the thumping noise is coming from one of my subwoofers, a DIY effort with 12" Eminence driver, and plate amp. I tried the shut down after turning the sub off, and the noise is very much reduced.

In answer to the question regarding 500 Wpc and my Tannoys, since it was easy to do, and cost so little, I thought I'd try it. I found the sound is something I haven't heard before from the HPD 315's, effortless in character, with a fullness, or completeness in each note, and a faster, or quicker, response time.

I know what you are saying about power. I don't listen particularly loud, and I pay attention to how the speakers are reacting to what I am feeding them. I can't afford to replace any drivers, not at the prices being charged these days for replacements, not to mention trying to get the Hard Edge conversion done nowadays.

By the way, my other amp, which I use for special occasions, is an SET 300B with EML 300B XLS tubes. The Class D amps were bought out of curiosity, and to save hours on expensive output tubes, and, to my surprise, sound very, very good.

Thanks and regards,
Dan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.